Please wear them!
Masks work and shouldn't be a political question, but rather a moral one. If you would rather have higher chances of being exposed to the coronavirus pandemic, be my guest. But please, be a good human and lower the chances for transmission to others. I will try to update these.
Update: I ended up not updating this because I've now realized that this information has been broadcasted on a national level. There are still people who wish not to follow guidelines, but that is an individual choice; one that definitely was not influenced by science, but nonetheless, an individual choice. I will keep this here for anyone to go through some interesting papers.
5. August 07: Duke University - explains the difference in 14 different types of masks (bandanas and fleeces suck!) also shows that the "droplet transmission" through face masks is significantly lower than the "droplet transmission" through no mask. please read if you don't know what type of mask to wear/buy or if you don't quite understand why masks work.
4. June 16: Health Affairs - a study of social distancing and mask wearing regulations in the US. social distancing and wearing a face mask -> led to a decline in the cases of covid-19 in the US writ large. not wearing a mask and not social distancing -> more cases of covid-19.
3. June 01: The Lancet - a study of social distancing, mask wearing, and eye protection. social distancing -> less transmission of a virus ([PaOR] 0.18, 95% CI 0.09 to 0.38; [RD] −10.2%, 95% CI −11.5 to −7.5) with protection increasing w/ distance increasing. wearing a face mask -> large reduction of risk of infection ([PaOR] 0.15, 95% CI 0.07 to 0.34, [RD] −14.3%, −15.9 to -10.7)
2. April 24: The American Chemical Society - measure of the filtration efficiencies of different types of masks. cotton, natural silk, and chiffon -> good protection (+50%). opening/gaps in masks -> degrades performance. please read if you don't know what type of mask to wear/buy or if you don't quite understand why masks work.
1. April 03: Nature Medicine - a study of respiratory droplets with correlation to mask wearing. without masks -> detected coronavirus in 30% and 40% of respiratory droplets and aerosols (respectively). with a mask -> detected coronavirus in 0% of respiratory droplets and aerosols.